Thursday, June 11, 2009

Adventures

The tube workers are on strike so most are closed down. This has forced us to be extra creative this week. Last night some of the group decided they wanted to see Peter Pan. However, I decided I wanted to see Oliver, and thought that yesterday would be the perfect time. Oliver has been sold out for months, and the few tickets that are available are quite pricey. But, with the tube strike, I believed that I could get a ticket. I just really didn't know how to get there. I decided buses were the best way, but I have only ridden them twice before and really didn't know how they worked. 

There were workers stationed outside the tube stops directing people how to get to their destinations. A man pointed me towards the bus stop and told me what bus number to look for. After waiting for awhile I was getting antsy and decided to walk to the next bus stop to cover some ground. A group of girls from Texas liked my plan and asked to follow. It was their first night in London and they were going to Piccadilly Circus, to party they said. They walked with me for about twenty minutes until they saw Harrods, started squealing, and decided to take a shopping break. I continued to stop at the bus stops along the way, but all had long lines. 

Four blisters and an hour and a half later I made it to the theatre with 45 minutes to spare. The ticket master said he would sell me discount tickets due to the tube strike. I bought a ticket for 25 pounds, a third of the cost, and sat on the fifth row. It was an incredible show, with over 100 cast members. 

While the show was amazing, walking across the city of London was thrilling. If I can guide myself across the city by walking, proves that I really could live here. The adventues continue this weekend as I head to Paris, this time not by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment