Monday, June 1, 2009

So long sweet Sunday

We experienced British culture again today by shopping. However, we skipped tourist favorites like Harrods and Harvey Nichols, and instead headed for the more artsy community. We took the tube across town to the Sunday Markets, where artists and chefs gather to sell their treats. There was an eclectic mix of jewelry, vintage clothing and pastries. Speaking to the artists was just as fun as looking at their creations. One woman without saying me saying a word asked where I was from. When I said Kentucky, she said she knew I was an American. But, it turned out being ok because she grew up in Cincinnati and now lived as a fashion designer in London. I only hoped that I had not stood out so much. My favorite booth was an artist from Canada that made adorable feather headbands; I just had to get one (Mary I got you one too, you are the queen of wild headbands). Maybe with my new headband I will look more British. Don’t worry Momo I have already traveled to Harrods and Harvey Nichols.

            We went to church this evening at a contemporary church called Holy Trinity Brompton. The singing was incredible, very modern which was different from the very old and ornately decorated church. It was much more beautiful than Southeast, with a similar vibe and about one one-hundredth of the size. After church we went to our new favorite restaurant KFC. I have eaten KFC more in London than I have in the last five years in Kentucky, only because it is so close and so cheap (and open late). However, if the chicken fingers are as good there as they are here then I found everyone should stop eating Zaxaby’s and head to KFC. Good thing we are doing a lot of walking.

            Overall today was a very relaxing and beautiful Sunday, we finished it off by watching Notting Hill and pointing out all of the places that we have seen thus far. If only I could meet a cute British boy in a bookstore like Julia Roberts, that would be the icing on the cake! 

1 comment:

  1. I meant to tell you this before you left...but you have to squeeze in time to go to the Hillsong Church in London--it's incredible!!

    And...also please tell me that you have eaten at wagomammas already!!!

    ReplyDelete